Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is often seen as just a regulatory obligation; however, there is a lot more to be gained from attending a CPD lecture than another hour off your annual requirement. Aside from developing your knowledge and skills, CPD also offers excellent opportunities to network, build relationships and strengthen your professional profile.
Here are some ways you can get the most from your CPD.
1. Make the time to attend face to face lectures
In today’s fast-paced workplace, making the time to attend CPD lectures might seem like an impossibility, especially as online CPD becomes more popular. The benefits of attending face to face lectures are being lost, to the detriment of insurance professionals and our industry.
Taking an hour in the morning before work or at lunchtime to attend a CPD lecture might seem like a sacrifice, but you’ll find that blending your online CPD with some face to face lectures will enhance your learning experience, allowing you to ask questions to the expert lecturers, as well as meet with your peers.
2. Come prepared
Once you’ve decided to attend a lecture, you should make sure you’re prepared. Networking is one of the main advantages face to face CPD has over online, so bring along your business card and be ready to build your professional profile with your colleagues. The insurance industry is built on relationships, both with other professionals and your customers, so networking is a vital component of your career development.
You can continue to build on the relationships you form at CPD lectures by connecting with the people you meet on LinkedIn and meeting up at other events hosted through the year.
3. Take notes
Take notes throughout the lecture to reflect on what you’ve learned and how it applies to your job. One of the biggest benefits you will get out of CPD is being able to transfer the knowledge you learn to your day job. A decent set of notes will help you to do this and share knowledge with your colleagues (or your boss!).
4. Bring a friend
Encourage your colleagues to attend lectures with you. Not only will it help you to implement what you learn in the workplace together, but will also make it easier if you are attending CPD lectures for the first time.
Some of our other top tips
- Be prompt. Our lectures are designed to start on time and finish on time so that you can fit them easily into you working day. If you turn up late, you might not get your CPD allowance, or even be able to get in!
- Book early. Although you can turn up to CPD events without booking, some of our lectures are first come, first served. So book on, or risk missing out.
- If you’re a member with us, remember to bring your membership card to swipe in, so that your CPD hour will be added to your compliance record.
- Complete the CPD feedback form that will be sent to you. Your comments are important to us and is largely what we use in order to continue to refine and develop our CPD offering.